Saturday, June 18, 2011

Crazy Train to the Mavs Victory Parade

It's been an exciting week. First the Mavs win and then the Mavericks Victory Parade.  I am so lucky, my company let me have the morning off so that I could attend it.  Yes, I am really blessed to have this job.

Once they announced the parade, the wheels in my brain started turning. How was I going to get there? Who would I go with?  How early should I leave?  In one day, my plans change about 80 times.  After all was said and done, I ended up going myself. I asked like 2 people to go and they couldn't go, so I decided not to even bother with asking anyone else. 

My adventure began at 6:45am.  I figured as long as I was at the train station for the 8am train that I should be okay since the parade started at 10am that was 2 hours to kill. Genius!  Or so I thought. Showing up at the train station was an event in itself.  The entire platform was covered with Mavs fans, hundreds.  Then there was the issue of parking. Thank goodness I remembered that there was parking in downtown Irving.  Of course, it took me awhile to figure that out as I drove around the train parking lots - twice!  But as luck would have it, I did remember and found a great space.

On to the train and my supplies were set: bottled water, snacks, a book, my iPod and a digital camera.  As soon as I arrive, the plan was to get my train ticket and wait.  I walk up and check out the line. It is about 60 people deep.  Off to the back of the line.  Then I heard a woman give someone a tip - you can buy your ticket from a bus driver.  Another woman next to me heard the same thing. We hurried up and ran to a couple of buses to buy our tickets.  3rd time was the charm.  Ticket in hand and we are ready to conquer the parade.

Once I had my ticket, it was about 8:15am.  No worries, plenty of time.  Time to stand in line and wait for the train.  There are tons of people standing around talking about the game and how excited they were for the parade.  45 minutes later, 2 trains have all ready stopped at the station.  Now here is where it gets sticky.  Yes the trains came by but they were filled to capacity and yet they were still opening the doors and people were still trying to get in them.  Here's a riddle, if you have a train that is packed like a can of sardines, how many more sardines can you add?  NONE!!  But some people didn't seem to get that through their heads. I saw people literally trying to make themselves smaller so that they could cram themselves into this steel sardine can on wheels. 

By this time, people weren't talking about the Mavs, they were talking about the horrible conditions (remember - Texas heat) and how angry they were getting about having to wait. Turns out when I arrived, most of those people had all ready been waiting for about an hour. Yikes! 

There were some that just gave up and left. About this time we were told that they had buses taking people to the parade.  A mad rush of people ran to those buses. I however stayed.  I was determined to get on the train.  I can't remember how many trains came by but each time was the same process.  Finally one train showed up and some of us were able to board.  But there was still a ton of us still waiting patiently.  About 9:50 or so, they released another train and we all jumped on it. Here's the bonus - we were not sardines!!  It was perfect.

My plan was to go to Victory Plaza but that killed. Instead the train took us to Union Station.  Which worked out even better.  We stepped off the train and started walking to Houston Street (which was on the parade route).  Suddenly we heard the bagpipes - the beginning of the parade.  A full sprint was underway to the street.  Got there just in time as the parade started. 

The problem with arriving last is being in the very back.  Being short is a huge bummer when are on the last row at a parade.  But you can stand on your tipy-toes and see quite a bit.  As for taking pictures, again be short stinks.  I stood on my tipy-toes, raised my camera as high as I could and just started shooting pictures.  I was able to see the parade by peeking around people.

Once it was over, all I had to do was turn around and jump back on the train. Getting back was so much easier then getting there. All in all, I had a great time.  All the sweat, heat and crowds was worth it.  I had quite an adventure and loved every minute of it.

Below are a few pics.  And for today's soundtrack  the theme is my trip. Enjoy!

Jet, Dirk, Jason (and a big stupid hand)

NBA 2011 CHAMPIONS!!

Tyson Chandler - on baby!
Cubes and The Trophy!

















Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment