Sunday, June 19, 2011

I wish Atticus was my dad.

Today is father's day and sad to say, I've never really celebrated.  I grew up without a father and raised mostly by women.  I lived on the isle of Wonder Women.  Everyone that surrounded my little life was a woman, a strong woman. And by strong I mean, they didn't remarry and they raised their kids to the best of their ability.  I will always be thankful to have such wonderful women my life.

As for a male figure, I never really had one.  I didn't even realize that you were supposed to have a father.  I mean, I saw families on TV but I knew that wasn't real so it didn't dawn on me that I was missing something.  Along with my family, a lot of my friends were kids with divorced parents and therefore no father figure.  Kinda sad now that I see it in writing. 

Now all these years later, I realize that I did miss something.  I missed having someone to really talk to me about how a man should treat a woman and a male role model to show me unconditional love.  But I can say, that I see within my family that we do have some great fathers.  My big brother and each of my brother-in-laws have been the father figure that I never had.  I see that there are really good men that love their wives and most of all their children.  They've taught them how to be good people.  So to those men in my family - Happy Father's Day!  I hope that someday I meet a man that can measure up to my brothers.  Tall task but the right man will be able to do it.

Today's soundtrack - well, fathers.  Enjoy!



If this doesn't make you blubber, then I don't know what will.

Peter - always has the right song.

After reading the book and seeing the movie, I wanted Atticus to be my dad.



Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment