Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Garcia's took the Holiday Road in '79

It's Saturday morning and I am taking it pretty easy.  I guess I am still on my Mavs high.  Not a lot going on this week.

Wow, I really have nothing on my mind.  Maybe my thoughts are on summer vacation all ready.  I do love the summer time.  I've had some great summer memories.  One of my best one's was when I was 9 years old.  It was 1979 and me, my 2 sisters and mom took a road trip to Dallas with our big sister and her husband (who lived in Carrollton).  I remember it was so hot and I was so excited.  Our brother (he lived in Garland) lent us his blue station wagon and the 6 of us piled into it and made our way to Dallas.  I remember sitting in the very back of the car and watching all the cars pass us by.  So much luggage and me.  I can't even tell you how long we stayed there but it felt like the whole summer.  Of course I was 9 years old and keeping a calendar didn't ever enter my mind.

That trip was filled with everything a 9-year-old girl could ever want.  There was a visit to the store (I think it was Toys R Us but I don't remember) and I got to pick out my birthday present.  I all ready knew what I was going to pick out.  I had seen it on TV and my little heart was all a flutter.  I walked down the aisles and headed straight to my first and only Barbie.  She was a Malibu Barbie with a green bikini, sunglasses, towel and tan lines. Oh, I loved her.  She was perfect and she was now mine.  Then came a surprise.  I was also getting a Barbie case. And not just a regular case, a pink double-size Barbie case.  My mind raced as I was thinking of all the things I was going to put in there.  But wait, that wasn't all.  I was getting a couple of Barbie outfits.  My life was now complete.  

The Barbie trip was just the beginning of the most spectacular summer of my little life.  Next came my step into adolescence.  I got my ears pierced.  I thought I was ready and that I could handle it.  I don't remember the actual event but what I remember the most was how much my ears hurt and I had to sleep on my back and tried not to move.  Plus they were as red as lobsters.  And here is the stupid part, when my mom asked me if they hurt I said no because I was afraid that if I said yes, that she would make me take them out.  Yes, I was an idiot.

Next came our two outings.  We took my first trip to the zoo.  I think it was the Dallas Zoo but I can't be sure.  I think it was fun.  And last but not least, we were going to Six Flags. If I thought my life was complete before with my Barbie, I was so wrong.  It was hot summer day and I wanted to see and ride everything.  My conquest - the Shockwave.  Now here is the thing, I had never been on a roller coaster but I knew I had to do it.  It was phenomenal!  I loved every minute of that day.  The last thing I remember from that day was the dancing.  Remember it was '79 and everyone wanted to Disco.  There was an area of the park that had a gazebo and a DJ.  That was first time I heard a song, a song that I thought was the greatest ever.  It was Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell".  And the best part, my sister L, bought the 45" and we got to listen to it all summer long. 

This is the first time I've seen it all in writing.  I sure wish I would have had a journal back then and a camera.  We have no pictures from that time and it makes me kind of sad.  But at least I still have those great memories that I shared with my family. I am so grateful that my sister and my brother S, made that trip possible for us.  That was the best time for me and I hope that it was for the rest of my family.  Since we were a bit poor, those types of things we not possible for us.  For that one summer, we lived the good life.  And I will always be grateful that they took care of us.

Today's soundtrack is my ode to the best summer of my life.  Enjoy!

My sister L's favorite song.

Yes, I know this came out in the '80s but it fits my whole situation,
sitting with the luggage in the back of the station wagon.


How cute was Sir McCartney!

This was the first time I had seen Soul Train.

To this today, if this song come on, 
me and my 3 sisters start dancing.

Thanks for reading my blog!  Remember to use sunscreen.
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment