Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New

It's the last day of August and tonight was the last episode of Royal Pains (until Winter).  It just now truly dawned on me that summer is really over.  Boo!  Then it got me to thinking about shopping for school clothes. 

I remember when I was younger and getting ready for the new school year meant a new wardrobe.  Of course ours wasn't a huge amount.  It was more like 1 pair of shoes, maybe a couple of pair of pants, a few shirts and one dress (and that dress was for picture day).

One of the memories I have is us going with my Momma to Anthony's (sometimes the downtown store or sometimes the location in the mall if we were feeling fancy), trying on clothes and then her putting them on lay-away.  Does anyone remember that store?  Every year that was our process.  I thought that was how everyone bought their new clothes.

When I started making money by babysitting, I did the same thing.  I was 12 years old and babysat my two small cousins in the summer of 1982.  The moment I knew I was going to be making money, I knew exactly what my first lay-away item was going to be and that was my first pair of Nike's. My first purchase was these fantastic royal blue Nike's with a white Swoosh. The main reason I chose that color was because I was starting junior high and our school colors were blue and white. Go Dogies!! Even then, I was always thinking.

I couldn't even tell you how much the sneakers cost but it took me all summer to earn the money to buy them.  And I did it!  I walked to the mall with my best friend, Tina to make my final payment.  I remember walking on Cloud 9 with my shoes in hand.  That was one of the proudest days for me.  I know that growing up poor truly has made me the person I am today.  It made me appreciate having a job and proud to be able to take care of myself. 

Since I can't go and buy a new wardrobe anytime soon, I can buy a few new tunes for my iPod.  Today's theme is, you guessed it; New. Now some of these may not be brand-spankin' new but new to my play list.  Hope you enjoy them.

 This makes me want to do the Snoopy Dance.





I have been thinking of this song so I had to buy it.
One sexy song!

Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment