Monday, July 18, 2011

Songs for my mom.

Today would have been my mom's 79th birthday. Wow, that is crazy!  I can't believe that she's been gone so long.  In the past, it was sometimes a bit difficult to get through this day.  But this year I spent this evening having dinner with two of my sisters and my youngest niece.  Actually, it was our last book club meeting.  We finished reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" this week and hopefully this Sunday we will be watching the movie.  It all came full circle somewhat.  You see, my mom never learned to read or write and now here we are; her daughters and granddaughter meeting to discuss a classic book.  It was such a great moment.  I think she would have been proud of us. 

Even though mom didn't have those skills she was still a computer.  She knew everyone's birthday and she made sure she called them on their special day.  To this day, I have cousins that tell me that they miss her birthday calls.  I don't know if I told you but I have about 65 first cousins, so as you can see she had a lot to keep up with due to the fact that we have a jillion relatives.  She also kept a small pocket-size Hallmark calendar and in the back of it, she wrote the phone numbers she needed. (I was wrong, she was taught her numbers but I don't know by who.)  It was a list of numbers but no names.  She knew every single one of them. Remember, we didn't have cell phones that could punch up someone's name and their number pops up nice and pretty for you.  She was one smart cookie and she missed terribly. 

That's pretty much all I have today.  Today's soundtrack is based on songs that remind me of my mom. Enjoy!

Mom loved to dance and she could dance to this one.

 Her one and only concert - Eddie Rabbit.

Dolly just reminds me of my mom.  
In the 70's/80's, she was everywhere on the radio or TV.

Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment