Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Don't Stop Believing in Goals

When I was younger I had a major goal in life and that was to graduate from college.  That may not sound like a big deal to most people but with our background it was.  My mom's family started out as migrant workers and traveled wherever the crop was for that season.  So, unfortunately my mother was not able to get an education.  I believe they moved to my hometown around 1948 or 1949.  She had five children and all five of us settled into the school system as did most of my cousins.  Education was something we did not take for granted.

I assumed that once you graduated from high school that you automatically left for college. Why?  Because that is what most of my family did.  I still remember when my brother and sisters left for college.  For years I thought that was the rule.

There was never a day where I doubted that I would not be going to college.  I remember going out with this one particular 19 year-old guy when I was 16.  Yes, I know now that I was way too young for him.  One night we were talking and he brought up the future.  I told him my plan was to leave this one horse town and go off to college.  He actually laughed at me and told me that it would never happen. Who was I to think such thoughts?  I remember looking at him and thinking "what an idiot!". Good thing I dumped him.  Okay, he dumped me but I am the hero in this story.

After graduation my goal was to find a job.  Then as I gained more experience, my goal was to work at certain companies.  Check and check, more goals accomplished.  Now that the cold finger of injustice (my lay-off) has wrapped it's bony fingers around me I am re-thinking my goals.  What is it that I want to do with my life?  That's kind of hard to decide right now but I will start with what I don't want to do and that is to become a teacher.  Why? I do not have the patience for the kids (and their parents) and the fact the educational funds are always getting slashed.  I thought about becoming a teacher in college.  It was my major for half a semester.  As I was taking a few courses I started looking at all the other students around me and realized that I was so out of my element.  They looked like teachers, acted like them and had the patience of a teacher.  I was completely opposite - I was a spaz, loud and a complete nut.  Good thing I found my way into radio. I fit right in and I was so happy to meet my peers. People who watched the billboard charts and lived to hear new music. That was a good ride while it lasted.

I have so much respect for teachers.  They work so hard for so little.  They make such an impact in so many lives.  I can still name the teachers in my life that made a difference.  Thank you Mrs. Landtroop, Mrs. Sherman, Mrs. Hall, Mr. Kelso, Mrs. Montgomery and Mrs. Clements for believing in me even when I didn't.  That is what a great teacher does, instills you with hope and encouragement.  I don't think I am that person.  However I do have several family members in the education field that possess those qualities and I am so proud of them. They range from teachers, a band director and a counselor.  They make so many sacrifices and I am thankful that I am related to each of them.

The lesson learned today, I can't be a teacher.  So what will I be when I grow up?  What is my next goal professionally and personally?   Maybe I will be a writer?  This blog has been such a great outlet and I think the more I write, the better I will become.  I am also an avid journal writer.  I've been writing in one since I was about 12 years old.  Of course those will not be published.  I can't incriminate myself like that. LOL!  I started reading a book called Note to Self  On Keeping A Journal And Other Dangerous Pursuits by Samara O'Shea.  I love it!  It's been a great exercise for me. Check it out if you get a moment.

Time to start working on those goals.  Here is today's soundtrack with today's theme - Reaching a goal and succeeding at reaching it.





Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment