Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hello, it's me.

Yet another person that thinks they are witty enough to start a blog.  Or maybe it's someone that is bored, unemployed and needs an outlet.  In this case, it's all of the above.  I've been out of work since July '10 and bored stiff.  I will say that I have enjoyed some of this time off.  Staying up late watching bad TV, sleeping late and eating breakfast at 1pm was a okay for a while. But there has to be something more.  And I guess this is the more.  

Besides my unemployment status, I am more than that (at least I hope I am).  I'm a 40-something single human.  I am also a sister and aunt.  Lover of great music, movies, TV and books.  I love The Rangers, Mavericks and Cowboys.  Pizza is my downfall.  I could have everyday and I would be okay with that.

I do not leave home without my Ipod.  Why?  As Ally Sheedy stated in greatness of "The Breakfast Club", "You never know when you need to jam."  Of course she was talking about all her crap in her purse.  But I have always followed that philosophy.  Even in the 80's, I was never without my jam box.  It was this rather large, silver portable stereo that my big brother, Steve bought me when I was 14. I loved that thing!  My mother wasn't too crazy about the fact that it was part of my anatomy but got used to it.  That was my escape.  My world opened up listening to the likes of U2, The Clash, Stevie Nicks, Motley Crue, Whitney Houston, Sade, New Edition, Rick Springfield, Tears for Fears, Debbie Gibson and of course Menudo.  There is so many others to add but I won't.  All of them affected me in one way or the other.  Music was my life. Why?  Because listening to the radio was free.  We didn't have a lot of money.  Let me restate that.  We was po'.  But music as an equalizer.  If you knew the hottest, latest songs you were a head of the game.  

Music began to take a bigger role in my life.  I, like every other teenager in the 80's was obsessed with making mixed tapes. Calling into the local radio to request a song and asking the DJ not to talk too much before the song because you wanted to record it was something we did all the time. And of course, since I was a music geek, Casey Kasem was a weekly part of my life. Every Sunday on Z-93, there he was counting down the hits for me.  I listened intently and waited for the #1 song of the week.  I also took it as far as writing down the songs each week so that I could compare their progress.  Yes, I was a geek and still am.  

Like I said, music meant a lot to me.  I can't sing, play an instrument (a flute doesn't count) or write lyrics so I did the next best thing.  Which was following music like a maniac.  It was also my therapy.  I think for most people it is too.  I was 18 when when my momma died.  It was my freshmen year of college and I felt all alone.  She was my only parent and she was gone.  After her passing, I was so lost. I didn't want to talk to anyone nor did I know what to do.  So I threw myself into my studies and listening to music.  My main source was U2's Joshua Tree.  It took me to another place and provided me with comfort.  It was so beautiful. Haunting but inspirational at the same time. 

I guess I see my life in a soundtrack.  Does anyone else do that?  When I hear a song it can take me back to a certain time in my life or even bring back a smell.  Every time I hear "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Croft, I am sitting on my Aunt Lena's front porch swing and smelling the honey suckle growing on the trellis. That is the awesomeness that is music. 

Well, I guess I will end  my soundtrack on this cold, icy day.  Give it a listen.
Stevie Nicks & Don Henley - Leather and Lace
Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians - The Air of December
Ricky Martin - Vuelve
Civil Twilight - Letters from the Sky
Stone Temple Pilots - Hello, It's Late
George Michael - Kissing A Fool
Todd Rundren - Hello, It's Me

Thanks for checking out yet another blog. 
Julie

4 comments:

  1. I have an unattended blog. And perhaps you have inspired me to finally keep up with it again! Being in your same state, 40, unemployed, and a lover of music, I will definitely be reading your blog with enthusiasm. I, too, hear a song and I am back into the event in my life where that song was played. The Cure reminds me of so many nights dancing at SRO when I was a college student in love with the wrong boy. ;-) Thanks for sharing. Good luck blogging. I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, snap. I was logged into another Google account. That last comment was from me! - Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!!!! :) I have to say music has always been one of my escapes....and it always takes me back! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! I knew I count on my '88ers for support. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete