Thursday, February 10, 2011

I believe in Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is just around the corner. In years past, I would be sad about not having a Valentine. But the older I get, it doesn't seem to bother me as much.  I am still a little down about it but not totally obsessed as I used to be.  I guess age does mellow you out or maybe I have just lowered my standards.  Not sure but either way, it's not that bad. As Hugh Grant's character in Love Actually said "Love actually is all around".   You just have to look around and it's up to you as to where you find it.

Here I am at 40 years old, never married and not a date in sight.  I am getting used to the idea of constantly being single.  It's not what I want but it's my reality for now.  Most of my family is either married, divorced or in some type of relationship.  I am the Lone Ranger for the most part.  I have a few relatives that questioned what was wrong with me.  They can't seem to figure me out.  Here's the thing, not much to figure out about me. I am just a gal that can't seem to find her right man. Picky? Yes!  Desperate? - Possibly.  Totally kidding on that. If I was that desperate then I would have settled a long time ago.  I haven't because I know the right man is out there for me. But where?  Is he in coma, under a rock, a coalmine, a rehab center?  I will just have to wait and see.

It did take some of my family awhile to get used to the fact that I don't have anyone special in my life.  When I was in my mid-30's, one of my aunt's sent me a card and let me know she realized that I did not need a man to make my life complete and how proud she was of me and what I accomplished.  That was a huge for me. Not that I needed validation but considering that my family is Hispanic and having a family is really important, it made me feel really good about myself after that.  I needed that boost. 

Now what do I do in order to find that man?  I don't know.  But there will be lots of praying and good thoughts.  No more bars though.  I just can't take that scene anymore.  It's not me.  And don't get me started on online dating.  I am not saying that it's totally bad but I just seem to meet all the creeps.  Most of the guys I have dated were socially awkward and it showed.  Nonetheless, I will still try that avenue but not hold my breath. 

So here is to finding the right man and remembering that Valentine's Day is not just about having a special someone.  It's about having love in your life. And I do, from my family and my great group of friends.  I am really lucky to be surrounded by so much love.   I am not just blowing smoke.  There is a lot of love in my life.  Now if I could find it at home making dinner for me.  Then my life would rawk!

The soundtrack for today is love - Duh!








Thanks for reading my blog!
Much Love,
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment