Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Mom was a great Lady


Today has been 22 years since Mom passed away.  Sometimes I forget what she sounded like.  I hate that.  I wish we would have had video camera back in the day to capture her on film.  Luckily we do have some pics of her.  Not a lot but enough to piece together her life. It's not like today where people take pictures every 2 seconds of themselves.  It seemed like there had to be a special occasion to have a picture taken of yourself, you know like a wedding, baptism, etc.  Honestly, I think we've become just a little vain.  I see people (adults and children) constantly taking pictures of themselves and then looking at themselves to figure out which pose they want to use.  Geesh!  Vain much?  But I digress.

Like I said, we have have some pictures of her growing up and a few as an adult.  Each one of them is really special because we get to see her as the rest of the world saw her.  Not just a mom but as a baby, a teenager and a young lady.   That's the beauty of photography, it continues to give back to generations.  We have this one studio picture of mom where she is posing and looks absolutely beautiful.  When we were younger, she didn't display that picture but I knew where she kept it so once in awhile I would sneak into her room and pull out the picture to look at it.  She would jokingly say that it was her Elizabeth Taylor look.  Since then, that's how we refer to that picture. 

After she passed away that was really the only thing I wanted, that beautiful picture.  It was a bit torn and tattered but it was mine.  A few years ago, my sister, L surprised all our sibling by getting that picture reproduced for them.  Now we all have that one picture proudly hanging in each of our homes.  My momma wasn't a vain person and kind of shy so if she was alive now, she would tell us to take it down immediately. lol!  I know that, that picture isn't what entirely represents my momma but it makes me smile because for a moment in time, my momma was Elizabeth Taylor. 

They remind me of the Little Rascals in the picture.
Doesn't everyone have a picture by a car?
I think she was going to work in the fields.


One thing that I do remember about her was that woman loved her some dancing.  She could waltz, 2-step, cumbia and swing dance.  That is one trait that me and my sisters have, her love of dancing.  I remember dancing with her in the kitchen and living room. We had a family reunion in 1980 and the thing I remember the most was mom on the dance floor. She torn it up that night.  She was so happy.  

Today's soundtrack are based on songs that remind me of my mom.

She would sing this to me to make me mad.  I have no idea why I would get mad but I would.

She was our brown version of Dolly. :)

My cousin Lucy took her momma, my Aunt Lina and my momma to see Eddie Rabbit in Lubbock. They loved it.

What woman in the 70's didn't love them some Kenny Rogers?  And my momma wasn't any different.

I was watching this video and mom was in the living room. She wasn't a big fan of the Rock & Roll but she liked the last 1 minute of the song.  It was her type of music. 

She loved this song and could cut a rug on this one.


Thanks for letting me pour out my feelings about my mom.  Thanks for reading my blog.
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment