Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Haicut 100 (more like 195) minutes getting my hair did

Since I have three interviews this week, I need to look like a human again. And today would be my long awaited day of beauty.  Being unemployed you have to find clever ways to get the make ends meet.  This led me to trying a local beauty school which happens to be inside a mall.  The idea sounded good in my head.  I arrived about 1:15pm and was so excited because I was going to get a good deal on my hair (cut, color & blow dry) and what the heck, I also decided to get my nails did too.  Here was the rundown.

Nails did: great color but the student cut my nails and left them a bit jagged.  Not like animal claws but enough where you can feel where the nail file missed a section. It wasn't a lot of money so I let it slide.  No teacher consultation here.

Color did: Figuring out the color took a little time. I have dark brown hair and wanted the color to match my color as close as possible.  Not too light and not too dark, a happy medium.  She showed me a color called Mocha.  (A little consultation with the teacher was given.) Great, I am in!  Once the color was decided, I specifically told the nice student where my trouble spots were i.e, I showed her exactly where my gray hair claimed it's squatter's rights and asked her twice to make sure to drench it with color. She said she understood and acted like she understood.  What's to fear?  As she is starting the process, she says "I'm going to start this and another student will finish it."  I didn't know that this school had a color relay team?  I went with the flow and said okay.   About 20 minutes later, my hair is covered with the greatest invention since sliced bread.  I sit patiently for 35 minutes waiting for my hair to take on a mocha loveliness.  Good thing I took my Julia Child book. BTW - still loving it, still fascinating.  Round 2 - the second member of the relay team comes by to "wash that gray right out of my hair" (remember that commercial).  As she is rinsing it, she says, "Wow, there is a lot of color in the back."  I didn't think much of it.  Next stop, getting the cut.

Cut did: The student did a good job.  She stopped a few times to ask the teacher if she was doing things correctly (loved that).  The cut went well and she did a good job blow drying my fuzzball into a nice slick look.  One of the teacher's came by and did a final run through and gave her the okay. 

Time to pay to piper.  My bill was tallied and there was no sticker shock at all.   I did tell them about the nail situation (and asked them to feel them - they got the picture) and to pass it on to the teacher since it was a teaching school. They were really nice about it and understood.

I left the school 3 1/2 hours later feeling pretty good about myself.  I skipped to my car with a new found sense of pride that only a new cut and color can give you. I then decided that I wanted see how good my hair looked in my car.  In the sunlight, it wasn't the nice mocha-licious color it was in the school.  Looking closer, I can still see that my squatters did not vacate the premise.   I am now a caramel-headed Mex-I-Can with most of her grays still on-site. Why the Face!!!  So I did something I have never done. I went back and complained.  I was actually nice and apologetic to them.  I felt like it was my fault that I didn't say anything earlier.  Why do we feel the urge to do that?  They were very nice and said they would get a student to do a re-color tomorrow.  Huh???  I have an interview tomorrow. I can't go in smelling like I just got my hair did.  We decided that the afternoon would be best and so now back to the homestead.

I like to torture myself so I went to my bathroom mirror for another inspection.  And low and behold I found yet another acre of gray.  AHHHHHH!!!!!  I made the decision to call the school back and asked if they could try to get me in early tomorrow morning.  The new plan is to call at 8:30am and see if anyone there can accommodate me.  My interview is at 12:30pm, so I am praying that they can take care of business.  I guess I will have to take the chance of smelling like new color.  Ah, the price of beauty.  Or is that the price of vanity?

Here is my advice to you, if you are going to a teaching school make sure that the teacher actually watches the work.  I will say that they were all very nice but nice doesn't make the gray go away.  It kind of does since they will be nice enough to do a re-color for free.  Geez, I hope it's free.

Today's soundtrack: Hair/Cut & Color








Thanks for reading my blog.
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment