Saturday, March 19, 2011

What a Wonderful World when you have a little fur friend

A dear friend of mine is having to deal with the possibility of loosing her sweet fur baby.  She called me the other day to talk about what she was going thru and how I dealt with it when I lost my first cat, Syd Vicious.  While talking to her, it brought back so many sad memories for me but I hope that our conversation helped her

When I lost my first cat, I didn't know how hard I was going to take it.  I knew a few people that lost their pets but I didn't understand what they were feeling until it happened to me.  For those who don't have a pet or have not lost one, they do not understand the sadness.  It was really tough on me because Sydney was my longest relationship. She was there through all my jobs, boyfriends, etc. She was my little bitchy sidekick.  Of course, I mean that with love. That cat was a beeyotch to everyone but me.  She was a tad jealous.  She even bit my sister's hand once but she loved me.  Sydney was a chocolate seal point Siamese with blue eyes.  When I first got her, she fit in the palm of my hand and was all white.  As she grew older, she started turning dark brown so I decided that it was because she was half Mexican-American.  Plus the fact that she liked eating tortillas and fideo.  She was my first cat and I had no idea about breeds.  So how was I to know that she was supposed to look like a little beaner cat. ;) 
She was diagnosed with kidney problems in 2005.  She was a tough old broad and made it until 2007.  I lost her a month before her 13th birthday.  One morning I left to meet my niece for a day of shopping and lunch and when I returned she had completely changed.  She looked so little, frail and sad.  It was kind of a blur.  I remember calling her vet and as luck would have it, he had just started his mobile hospital and was literally down the street from me. I remember he came in and Syd stood up (it took all she had) and walked over to him and sat on his lap.  I wanted to cry.  I remember he gave her a shot to keep her comfortable and some medication for later. The news was not good.  She was not expected to make it through the night. 

I was so upset. I called my sisters to let them know what was going on with her.  All my sisters, my nieces and my nephew came to see her on her last night.  They all took turns holding her and saying good-bye.  They were there when I needed them and it was a good thing. I know I would have fallen apart. I had such a great support system. After they left, I stayed up with her all night to make sure she was okay. Truth be told, I was afraid to wake up with a dead cat.  Sick and selfish I know.   It was a long night but she made it. She looked worse and was having more trouble breathing.  So I made the hardest decision I ever had to make. I couldn't let her keep suffering so I called her vet to take her in and do the unthinkable.  My sister L, picked us up and my sister B met us there.  It was so sad.  I had to say good-bye to my little friend but I knew it was the right thing to do. I couldn't be selfish.

It's been 4 years since my fur buddy left and I still get a little teary-eyed sometimes. But she left me with some great memories and love.  So for my dear friend SV, today's them is love and strength.





Thanks for reading my blog!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment